Born in Giles County on January 6, 1827, John C. Brown was one of nine chidren. After graduating from Jackson College in Columbia, Tennessee, he began his law practice in 1848 and soon developed an interest in politics.
With no military training, Brown entered the service of his state in 1861 as a Private and was quickly elected Captain, then Colonel of the 3rd Tennessee Infantry. He commanded his regiment in the invasion of Kentucky and Fort Donelson, where he was captured and sent to a northern prison. When released, he was promoted to Brigadier General and later to Major General. He led his Brigade in the battles of Perryville, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Atlanta, and at Franklin where a severe wound ended his military career. However, he did rejoin his men in North Carolina in April 1865 and was paroled at Greensboro.
Brown returned to his law practice in Pulaski and was elected Governor of Tennessee in 1870 and again in 1872. He was President of the Texas & Pacific Railroad and at his death was President of the Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad Company.
As a Master Mason, Brown was Worshipful Master of Pulaski Lodge, No. 101, and also served as Grand Master of Masons of Tennessee. A benefactor of the Church of the Messiah in Pulaski, "He was a faithful man and feared God above many."
Upon his death August 17, 1889, John Calvin Brown was laid to rest in Maplewood Cemetery in Pulaski. Carved on his monument appears a fitting inscription: "He was successful in every undertaking and faithful to every trust."
The General John C. Brown Camp, No. 112 was originally organized and chartered in Pulaski, TN on 26 Sept. 1898. The camp was active until around 1930. After many years of inactivity it was decided that we should reactivate the old charter and have the General John C. Brown Camp, No. 112 again active in Giles County. Reorganization began early in 1992 and the charter was granted on July 14, 1992. The reorganized camp began with 14 charter members (4 new SCV members and 10 transfers). By April 1993 membership had grown to 22 and as of January 1998 we have 42 members. As a camp, our mission is to preserve and protect our Southern heritage and history.
Regular monthly meetings of the
General John C. Brown Camp,
Webmaster George Russell Wynne, AR